Translate

Wednesday 9 September 2015

I was hoping for a chance to meet

Much has happened since I last picked up the pace here so I have much to relate.
Firstly my trip hiking Scotland is now definitely on. I leave on the sleeper on Sunday night. I have much packing etc to do but this is good. I am thinking of it as a sort of walkabout.  I haven't done all these elements together before and it is a little daunting.
However I am determined to give it a try even if I drop out after 1 day.
My depression and anxiety have been up and down like a whore's drawers this last week. Some days dreadfully bad. Others just tolerable.  As long as I can keep focused on something I am ok. But that power comes and goes.
I have had days where I could not tolerate people at all. Other days where it was meh. I have made much jam.
Yesterday was good. I managed to book a cbt test on a one day jobby. I had never been on a motorbike before in my life, not even as a pillion pussy. So everything was weird.  For those who haven't the left foot is the gear lever, down for first, up for second, sequential box. The clutch is what would be your left brake on a pushbike. The throttle is the right grip. Front brake is right brake handle. Back brake is right foot.
If that sounds complex it is, especially if you are used to cars. It is closer to how you drive a massey ferguson tractor.
Add to that the fact that you do not really use the throttle to control speed. You slip the clutch all the time. This is disconcerting to say the least.
The back brakes are drum brakes, a part of prehistory for car drivers. The front ones are perforated disc brakes. So all the braking power is up front. Back brake just about stops it rolling.
The front brake snatches like a bastard. It has a hair trigger on it.
The bike I was riding was a cbr 125. Built for dwarves. The gap between the seat and the pedals was so small my knees had to stick out sideways like I was riding it piledriver style. I was in a class with instructors and 3 young people. These younglings had never driven anything else, and had no inherent sense of danger, so they took to it like ducks to expensive duck houses. I was struggling on the off road maneuvers and was kept behind a bit. Part of this, to be honest, was the instructor not recognising that he needed to explain things a little better for someone with no proprioception.
Anyway we went out and did our 2 hrs on the road, with a radio link. When I was leading I was hesitant. This is because I can only do one thing at once.  I can either drive, or listen to instructions. Not both. But I did better than I thought. My low speed maneuvers need work, as does my road placement skills. But it was ok.
When we got back the instructor dealt with the younglings first, telling me to wait behind. My heart was in my boots, but it turned out he was happy enough to give me the cbt but wanted to talk about the direct access because he thought I needed practice. I told him I was going to say the same thing.
So upshot is I have my cbt which let's me ride on l plates on a 125. So now I need a bike that actually fits, and some practice.
So yay.  Left me feeling good, even if Mrs inky was pissed off that foal knew and she didn't.
Oops

1 comment:

  1. Hope the hike goes wonderfully. I'm reading someone's blog about it at the moment (http://www.alexroddie.com/2015/07/the-cape-wrath-trail-days-11-14.html) and it looks terrifying and wonderful. Even if you don't get the whole thing done it looks well worth the attempt.

    Mainly I'm just jealous of everyone who lives on a landmass that has that sort of scenery. Maybe I need to look into a trip to Tasmania--not that I'm up to that level of hiking right now.

    ReplyDelete