Translate

Monday 22 June 2015

I win the gene pool lottery

So today I was tweeting with Carl Zimmer about imagination.  This brought up something of a shock for me.  You know when people talk about picturing things in their heads?  The minds eye?
Turns out they actually see the pictures.
I had assumed all my life that this was a metaphor.  I have never been able to conjure images in my head.  I have an excellent relational memory but not a visual one.  If i need to picture something I draw it.  I am famous for my whiteboard use.
Seems this is a condition known as aphantasia.  And it is relatively uncommon.  estimated as 2%.

So OK lets review the Inky lottery.  The following are estimates of the occurence frequencies of what I have.  the Ehlers Danlos one is actually a high estimate.  many references state it as 5 to 10 times less common.
Aphantasia ~2%
Ehlers Danlos 0.1%
Aspergers 0.29%

now I am not captain probability but i think to get the likelihood of having all those, assuming they are independent, you multiply them.  That means a probability of 1 in 17 000 000 000 or so.

Winning Lotto is around 1000 times more likely at 1 in 14 000 000

the odds of being killed by a meteorite strike is 1 in 700 000
given there are around 6 000 000 000 people on the planet and at least one of them has had sex with Joanna Lumley I was more likely to get me some Purdey than all of this shit.

this is seriously looking like a personal grudge not random chance.

6 comments:

  1. A malevolent God? Perhaps you'll merge seamlessly into Thomas Hardy:

    “Justice” was done, and the President of the Immortals (in Aeschylean phrase) had ended his sport with Tess.

    It's a rather gloomy outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sticking with my genetically engineered super-horny soldier theory. I'd also trust Hardy more on matters involving deflating super farty sheep than metaphysics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its thomas hardy not robert hardy...

      Delete
    2. Richmond/Weatherbury? S'all the same to me, neither's as good as Lancashire :-).
      'Passing his hands over the sheep's left flank, and selecting the proper point, he punctured the skin and rumen with the lance.' -Gabriel Oak impressing a chick by penetrating a sheep.

      Delete
  3. I could be wrong, but I get 1 in 17 million rather than 1 in 17 trillion for the aggregate odds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. S'awfully quiet round here... everyone ok?

    ReplyDelete