Translate

Monday 5 January 2015

Folded flags

I suppose a new year is something we all think of as a place to start again. Logically this is silly of course as the calendar date has no significance at all. 21st December would be better as that is the darkest of winter. But the clickover of the year lets us yhink that things will change. Or that we will.
This is silly, naturally. If people are involved it is always silly. Also people do not change. Iknow that puts me out of line with many gurus etc but it is true in my experience. People only change when the ability to remain the same is forcibly taken away.
Gloomy thought perhaps. But I think that if we accept this and try to acheive goals in a way that recognises our invariance we will be much much happier.
This thought comes about thanks to an interaction with my boss. Relations with my boss have been strained for a while. This is partly because I have been going through a lot of issues with my disability and other problems, and partly because of mismatches in how we work and think. I had hoped to get a new start this year but I think it is unlikely. Without going into detail I had an email which indicates another year of the same shite.
What is the best way of dealing with this? My own tendency is to think that we should resign ourselves to it. I have long been averse to plans or dreams or ambitions because they give the illusion that we control our lives. So a question for you, dear reader, is this...is it better to be calmly resigned to our fate or to ride the rollercoaster of hope and despair?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like New Year to me.
    I don't know - You're not contractually obliged to put up with your shit boss forever. Could be time to start looking for work?
    And you know me. Get on the rollercoaster, because the bad shit will happen regardless of what you do, because people want to shit on you, but if you sit around waiting for good things to just randomly happen, they never will.
    Fatalism will only get us so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a rollercoaster person swinging between the depths of discouragement and massive surges of childish optimism. I'm not I recommend it, but I'm not sure the alternative is any better.

    ReplyDelete