Translate

Sunday 4 October 2015

Anyway, I can't believe you want to turn the page.

This is the first section of my holiday journal from the recent, slightly abortive, trek.  Whenever I go walking I keep a diary.  Here I am trying to match it up with the pictures.
13/09/15
Ipswich-Fort William

I always find it tricky packing.  I have a tendency to overpack.  I also had very little time without people present.  I cannot concentrate on anything is someone talks to me and that was all MrsInky and Foal wanted to do.  So the planning I needed to put into it was not there.
I used the guidelines in the Cicerone guide to pack equipment.  Tent, sleeping bag, self inflating mat, clothes, waterproofs, gaiters, gloves, bothy shoes, stove, mug, cutlery, multitool, emergency kit, first aid kit, poo trowel, head torch.  All with as many dry sacks as I could find.
Of course I also had to pack food.  I had a mix of dry ingredients, peperami, spices etc.  Also several of the Mountain House dehydrated meals.  The problem is that on this trail you have to carry food because there is not much en route.  4 days at any 1 time.
My rucksack, though large, had to have lots strapped on the outside.  It is very very heavy.  I know this is a mistake but can do nothing at this stage.
I have a small bottle of whiskey along, and this journal and my kindle and origami paper.  Thats my entertainment.
I got a taxi at 13.30 with a rather strange driver.  He was a Kurdish immigrant who used to ive in the mountains.  he was a concert pianist, violinist and violator (or whatever a viola player is called).  Very friendly guy.
I caught the 14.47 down and then round the tube to Euston.  This meant a long wait for the sleeper but I would rather be early than late.  And anyway I can be alone and peaceful there.  Of course Euston had decided to close its internal  eateries so I was sitting outside and frankly the air temperature was not warm.
I am trying to master an origami unicorn but it is very very hard.  I am smoking too much e-cig.  This is mainly stress related.  I am very very very stressed out.
I ate a chilli in Ed's American Diner which was pretty reasonable.
I boarded the sleeper about 19.30, to find my bunkmate, Pete, already in.  I only just got my rucksack in the space, then went down to the cafe.  I had forgotten how small the standard bunks are.
Down at the cafe Pete and his friend Meg were sat down and i joined them as it was the only free seat.  I didnt need more food but had a Bowmore which was rather nice.  We chatted, and then by chance Meg's bunk mate failed to turn up so Pete was moved into her cab, leaving me alone in the space.  While they were arranging this I rang Foal at 9pm to say good luck- she was off on adventure camp the next week, with rucksack etc.
We talked a while in the cafe and I showed them a few origami standards, then I went to bed.
I am very conflicted about MrsInky.  She cried when we said goodbye and said how much she would miss me.  But if that is the case why is she leaving?  At times people drive me insane. Why not just say what you mean?
The motion of the sleeper is not wonderful for my joints, so my sleep is rather disturbed.

1 comment:

  1. Obviously I had hysterics at the mention of the 'poo trowel', but I loved the origami details. Perhaps a photo of a unicorn next time? - Enjoyed this first episode of the tale - definitely a cut above your 'smug look at me I'm so privileged & I bet you wish you WERE me' travel blog!

    ReplyDelete