Translate

Saturday 28 February 2015

Experimental sheldon biscuits

Eliza acton has a recipe for Threadneedle Street Biscuits. I was intrigued. I have been getting into biscuit baking recently so thought i would try it.
Its a large recipe so i cut it in half to a pound of flour 1.5 oz butter 2oz sugar. I used icing sugar and also a tablespoon of cornflour. Then a half teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda. Rub in yhe fat till it disappears. Then add about half a pint of milk to make a stiff dough and beat the crap out of it. Stiff is the word. Its like pastry. My joints being what they are my trusty kenwood and its dough hook did the work.
Then roll it out biscuit thick. I cut into sheldon shapes.
I also rang the changes by coating some in sugar and adding carraway seeds to others.
Started off in a low oven 140c. After an hour turned up to 150c. Cooking seems to be a process of drying out they crisp up slow but Eliza says crisp all over. The sugary ones seem to crisp quicker.

So in the end how are they?

Hmm. Interesting. V crisp. Rather like a bath oliver but sweet. I think this might be the grandparent of the rich tea. Definitely prefer with sugar or carraway though.

1 comment:

  1. The Emma Bridgewater plate adds a touch of class to your food photography. For those wondering who the Hell I am, the secret code word is 'kittens'.

    ReplyDelete