Translate

Friday 3 July 2015

I see the (well lets face it, everything) go by, dressed in their summer clothes

OK so the content of this one has changed in the last 10 minutes due to a frankly bizarre exchange on Twitter.
First you need to understand my relationship with Twitter is rather like Waldorf and Stadtlers relationship with the muppets.  I sit in my balcony and make smartalec remarks.  Because.  Sometimes I drop the odd thing in there to indicate my mood.  But being me I am not going to come out and say it.
So this morning I put up a post saying this:



and this prompted a question from an entity known as Jenny G () as to if I was a bot.
So I said:


and then it went downhill.  Jenny demanded to know why I had no avatar.  Not relevant to bothood if you ask me as all the bots I have seen have avatars..
















hoping the embed thing works....

Anyway a bit nonplussed.  easy explanation is that Jenny was a bot working for skynets facial recognition software.

but this is not the first time people have asked for an avatar picture, or for a picture of my face.  Why is this?  I really struggle.  I mean we all know that  he pictures on avatars are mainly not of the people involved, or are idealised a tad.  they give, in short, no useful information.  I had assumed the avatar was there to allow illiterate people to identify the tweeter, but as the tweets i give are mainly text that wouldnt help.
In short why do people want pictures there?  What does it add?  I for one would vote to have the avatars removed from twitter completely as the useless spam they are.

6 comments:

  1. Personally, I like avatars, and put a lot of thought into choosing something that represents me. But we are all different. And you have every right to present yourself as pleases you.

    What a horrible person. Maybe best to block someone like that immediately? I am glad that you reported her in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When one of my interweb alter egos briefly had a Twitter account I used a pic of one of the buildings at Orford Ness as the avatar, 'cos obviously I am actually a knackered shed like structure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. indeed you are. all rimed with salt and coated in tar. and starch

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a semi-illiterate (Basically due to drugs and the worst excesses of EDS-related mental fatigue), I use the avatars to quickly work out if a conversation is something I can jump into or not - If it's two or three different avatars going back-and-forth for half a page, I don't get involved, because it's obviously either only applicable to those people, or so involved by now that I'm only going to rehash old points. If it seems to be a free-for-all, I might dip in.

    It also helps me work out if I follow someone or not - People change their names more often than their avatars, so it can help me keep track of which name goes with which face, and to quickly look up if someone has just been retweeted into my timeline.

    Basically, yes, they're an accessibility feature, not all of us can be as intelligent and focussed as you are, and I suspect you'd hate it if we were because you'd not be able to look down your nose at everyone around you.

    Pretty sure that she was either a bot or trying to get a rise out of you. This is why I keep my twitter-bubble small.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Basically, yes, they're an accessibility feature, not all of us can be as intelligent and focused as you are, and I suspect you'd hate it if we were because you'd not be able to look down your nose at everyone around you."

    Er yes. Not that I've dared to put it quite like that!!! I am a very visual person, and pictures matter to me a lot. So I like avatars a great deal, especially if they are one-eyed cats called 'waffly'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to see what people choose as an avatar. My current one is of me (non-idealised) but I've also used ones that I think say something about me and what I like--though I'm aware that tends to be a strictly private joke.

    BUT I don't give people a hard time or particularly care (on my own behalf, though see comments above) if people choose not to use one.

    It is (and was at the time!) bizarre to me that someone would come up to you out of the blue and hassle you about it. My background is in psychology (calm down--visual perception, pattern recognition, and artificial intelligence; not clinical) and my take-home message from that degree is that people are weird. Post-doctoral experience has not changed my views on this...

    (OK I feel slightly better having finally disclosed that to you in light of recent MH team shenanigans. Though, as I say, not in any way my field--I was still feeling vicariously guilty on behalf of my not-profession. And now I'm kind of hoping you don't get around to reading this...whispering my self-disclosure in a hurricane, that's me).

    ReplyDelete