Translate

Tuesday 21 April 2015

The inkybars are on me...

Just back from the shrink with the normal feeling of time wasted. I fear my total lack of respect for the validity of the field may come over. Monday is the next appt when a Plan will be revealed.
Anyway it may comfort some to know my cookery does not always work. Yesterday one of my betes noires, wholemeal bread, went very wrong. The result could bend light it was so dense. Tips for wholesome wholemeal welcome.
Normally I would commit bread pudding but only I like it round here. So I thought....lets invent.
The following is a work in progress but my god it yums. I giveyou inkybars.

Oven 160c
4oz oats
3oz butter
8 oz demerara sugar
I loaf wholemeal bread,small, whjzzed into crumbs
1 bramley apple

Line 2 medium loaf tins, about 3 in by 7 in with non stick paper.

Melt the butter and stir in the oats and half the sugar. Press into a layer covering the bottom of each tin. Cook in oven for about 20 min till it browns. 
Cover each base with a layer of breadcrumbs1cm deep at least. Use a mandoline to slice peeled apple ina layer on this. Sprinkle with sugar, then add another layer of apple, then sugar, then breadcrumbs again then finally sugar. Put one tin on top of the other, a third on top of the second and a weight in that. The idea is to cook under pressure.
Cook for about 25 mins till brown.  Allow to cool. Slice. Nom.

3 comments:

  1. I bet the apple makes the mix really lush.

    Stick with the psychiatrist inky. Yes, their treatment and diagnoses are somewhat based on guesses...but they are the best we have. If you look at what the unscrupulous charlatans offer for depression....then I think a properly qualified doctor is the preferable option.

    Eat up and chill out! Love Cathy xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely trying that. Given that the teens spurn the concept of wholemeal bread there's always some left over out of any loaf I buy, but they'll eat practically anything involving sugar and apples. Thank you o talented horsey, and take comfort in your success at creating victorious noms from an inedible disaster. TheGovernor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Get Inky's fingers inside you today'- let me know if you need any help marketing these beauties.

    ReplyDelete