Translate

Friday 8 May 2015

you don't know where you met me, you don't know why...

Well today was something of a bust.

First of all the psychologist rang and arranged to see me in a couple of weeks, not today.  He asked if there was anything he should know first...so I said read the blog.

So Hello Clarice.  Do you seek to dissect me with this blunt little tool....

Lord knows whether Clarice will bother to read the blog or not. My expectations are not great.  Pace Cathy but psychologists are the homeopaths of mental health.  they weave their elaborate placebos whilst nature takes its course.  And that is just the good ones.  The bad ones do a lot of harm.  The last one I encountered, at Luton, was a spiteful witch frankly. Tried to slap a BPD diagnosis on me because I objected to her using my first name without an introduction.  The one before that was wet as a herrings bathing costume.  And before that....well a team of them.  Inlcuding the stereotypical art therapist with pencils stuck in loose bun of hair and tie-dyed smock, the earth mother type complete with nursing babe and the one who thought he ran the place.  As Edmund once said, as effective as a catflap in an elephant house.

So why do I bother accessing these folk?  deadly combination of hope and nothing else available.  Same thing that makes people watch Jeremy Kyle.

Aside from that...I had plans this evening, which went tits up due to force majeure so i ended up going to the cinema on my own.  saw age of ultron, which was remarkably grown up though The Vision was borrowing so heavily from Dr Manhattan he nearly turned blue.

But after I left...the old sadness set in.  Rough.  All the things I am doing- they are just distractions.  Spock has been busy setting up stuff to do.  Emo is still rocking.

Something else that had me rocking was the physio this morning.  I mean ok, attractive etc.  but at one point the diagnostic tantric moves he had me doing triggered a bout of no 10 pain from shoulder.  He was flapping around saying do you want to sit down whilst i was just seing flashing lights and trying to remember how breathing went.  I didnt swear at the poor lad.

Later i went to the gym and worked out because I needed something to feel.  gym went well but then i swam...
My favourite stroke is a towing sidestroke- i used to do lifesaving back in the day.  Well as I was doing this...understand how it works, you use the lower arm to pull forawrds, the upper arm is the towing arm.  seeing as I was on my own it was floating.  Weeelll my body contracts as I stroke, a motion that would look like a side to side wave...as the left side contracted my floating ribs decided to pop the wrong side of my iliac crest.  Because I have a hypermobile lower spine and vertebrocostal joints. instant searing pain.  Then the muscles in my side spasm, wrenching my pec and shoulder, which rotates my shoulder and subluxes my elbow.  So now I am spasmed into a sideways curl, left arm not working, cant use left foot, cant lift head out of water.  floated vaguely to side and hung on.  slowly by degrees spasm eased but my god I was close to unconscious in the water.

Oh and my jaw hurts.

fckit

9 comments:

  1. Dear inky, I do agree that poor quality psychotherapy is very very damaging. I suffered this unfortunately at the Maudsley. Mike's try at IAPT was an utter disaster too. Dealing with the fall-out probably contributed to my suicide attempts. I sometimes think of compiling a documentary called 'When Psychotherapy Goes Wrong' for Channel 5!

    I don't agree about placebos though. There is certainly an element of psychological/psychiatric services hanging about while you naturally recover. Yes. But I think they can also actively contribute to recovery. It all depends on the quality of the therapeutic relationship! So cut your therapist some slack until proven otherwise!

    Other than that, lots of love. Cathy xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus christ, Inky, I thought that half-drowning was my schtick?

    Have the lifeguards got any emergency paperwork for you? I know you wear a medic tag, but having a sheet of paper on the poolside with effectively "This is how to handle me if I appear to be drowning, don't just hook me with the fishing pole, send someone in to get me, even if I'm still conscious" and assorted other information can be useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reasonable thought. With some of em it would be worth the drown...
      Second time this one has happened tho. And my left side still has a terrible ache in all the diodes.

      Delete
  3. Inviting someone who's trying to help you to this place and then picking on them seems a little mean Inky. You appear to almost indulge the Physio-therapist's (excruciating) efforts to help, yet whip out the fava beans for their Psycho equivalent.

    Have you tried doing the physio in Vienna on a leather couch and getting your Psychologist to don a green leotard like that nice Diana Moran?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but Clarice is a psychologist. So its fair game innit. I mean they must be a masochist or they would have a proper job...
      Thing is physio has a sound evidence base behind it....
      And i did warn Clarice I wasnt nice to psychologists on here

      Delete
    2. *Cross* I can't think of a more responsible or challenging vocation than messing with someone else's head (and heart). If that's not a proper job...what about therapists treating people for PTSD following tragedy and trauma...are they not doing a 'proper job'. *Shut up Cathy*

      Delete
    3. Depends if they are doing any good, surely? Homeopath argument.

      Delete
    4. I think it best if I leave you in peace on this one. I construe therapists positively (until proven wrong). My last one was a systemic family therapist and she won over OH in no short order, though he was distrustful initially. We all got on like a house on fire! It's so very very personal a process though, so I should not comment on another person's reactions to a therapist really! Cathy

      Delete
  4. 'My expectations are not great'.

    You may have to be on your guard against a self-fulfilling prophecy.

    But enough naggering. I hope today goes well, and that if there is baking, that the baked goods are both delicious and amply appreciated.

    Cathy ♥

    ReplyDelete