Translate

Thursday 19 March 2015

In a line that never ends.. .

I woke this mornin with ahek of a headache. also I hae to cope with a parental visit for which I do not really have the energy. So after the foal delivery run l came straight to David Lloyd to work out and Sauna. Also partly to try not to let my encounter with Mr. Blonde Twat Scare me away from using the place. Because it would. Although I must say the management response has been very good they are let down by a corporate image which does not admit we cripples exist.
So first of all L am sitting down eating their porridge (which would get a 7/10 from EPD I think) and overhearing a lady holdng Court to her adoring friends.
What she was spouting was pure Shite from beginning to end.
Her promise was that it was harder to prepare healthy food than unhealthy food. That got me listening due to Its divergence from culinary reality. She actually said it was harder to prepare a salad than a roast dinner.
Now leaving aside the false equivalence of healthy = Salad this is Just Bollocks so I was keen to hear more of her world.
What followed was pure woo. Organic food, fear of pesticide, fear of GM. The feverish washing of all veg. except cabbage and brocolli , All Apples Must Be Peeled!
But Tesco ready meals were fine.
I despair at times. This is a product of Thatcher axing Home. Ec., The Daily Mail and the Paleo Woo here, plus scientific illiteracy.
Serious problem. Why can't the English teach their children how to think ? Or cook?

4 comments:

  1. It's swings and roundabouts, really; A Pot Noodle will always be easier than even a one-pot curry, and it's probably easier to store the ingredients for a roast dinner than to store for a salad, but on the other hand the salad takes no preparation (I am a massive fan of just eating those bags of precut salad as if they were crisps) and making lentil soup is massively less effort than frying bacon.

    And yeah, salad=/=healthy, just like caloric=/=unhealthy.

    It sounds like she was just one of those cargo-cult dieticians, the ones who think that if it's sold in a box that's made to look like brown wrapping paper with leaves and flowers printed on it that it must be Good, and that anything else is Bad.

    Also, if I was going to pick one vegetable to wash, it'd be broccoli. Nobody really likes eating mysterious insects, do they?

    Christ, humans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROFL. God I would have had trouble restraining myself. In the NHS I worked with proper registered dietitians, and I have little tolerance for food-bullsh*t.

    There's a lot of it in the sick circles I frequent,unfortunately, and I have therefore pitched the idea of a dietetic myth-busting article to the editorial board of a charity magazine that I write for.

    They are very interested (I listed fad diets like the Stone Age diet, and numerous other dodgy concepts, ready for a dietitian/writer to get his/her teeth into). I don't have the professional expertise to write it myself, so they will need to get a registered dietitian to act as author, but by God it's a job that needs doing!

    I had a successful ASA complaint btw against Nutribullet for health claims they made for the juices produced by their machine. Small victory!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the second conversation involving broccoli I've been involved in this week. I deplore the lack of innuendo here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very little erotic about broccoli.
      Now cauliflower is a bit racy. Romsnesco is a total whore...

      Delete