Translate

Tuesday 17 March 2015

Then I curse you, in the name of all nature. You are a twisted abhorrence.

Today sucked.

There are many causes of it sucking but one more than any other.
I had an ablism incident at David Lloyd Ipswich.

You may remember that I had problems here before with people parking like complete arses and the effete management doing nowt?  Well to be fair the new manager in place there has put cones down and actually done something about it.  Kudos. When I was ranting to him I explained that part of the issue was that people did not believe that disabled people use the facilities, despite daytime being all about the crips.  I said we needed an education campaign.  Something showing how inclusive David Lloyd can be.  Something affirming that disabled people are members like any others.

He said that had to come from above.  Well David Lloyd lts see some action.  Here is why.

Today I went to David Lloyd Ipswich in order to do my physio exercises, as discussed here.  I parked in the disabled spaces as normal and then fiddled a bit with the radio which is a bit wonky.  As I was doing so a car, pictured, pulled up next to me. Containing the gentleman pictured.  Picture taken in a public place, actually he even posed for it.


I asked him if he held a blue badge as he was parked in a disabled space.
His answer was that no he  had not.  But it was a gym.
I said disabled people use the gym.
His answer was that if they needed to park that close to the door they cant and shouldn't use the gym. That there was too much provision for them and it wasn't necessary because as he said, disabled people shouldn't use the gym.
I was appalled at such naked bigotry and, well, hate speech.
I reported this to the duty manager and she tried to get him to move his car.  and failed.  But a note has been made on his account.
But the point here is twofold.  Firstly this illustrates the ablism at places like this.  The idea that the disabled cannot use the space despite the fact they use it often.  This is largely because in all promotional literature David Lloyd is portrayed only by fit and able people.  The disabled are not good enough for their image.  Come on David Lloyd pull your socks up.
Secondly if this exchange had been about, say, black people instead of disabled people he would be banned, I suspect.  This hate speech is not acceptable.

I am calling on David Lloyd to take a lead here.  Lets have some representation of your daytime clientèle.  We are older, less fit and  less abled.  But we get a great deal from using the facilities for which we pay and should expect more from you.

2 comments:

  1. Fucking hell. That's one for the "Utter Bastard" list.

    Come on then David Lloyd. You know who this bloke is, you've got his face, you've got which gym he goes to. Get him banned.

    I have no idea how we get across to these twattocks that disabled people probably use the gym as much as, if not more per head of population than abled people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an odious character. :(

    ReplyDelete