Translate

Wednesday 4 March 2015

The soup will go on....

After school foal had a trumpet lesson. So we had to rush home and whilst she was tooting away I had to prepare dinner. Tonight it was soup.
I should state that whilst I support and cherish foal I cannot stand brass instruments. Her choice of trumpet has sorely tried me. As for her teachers choice to get her to play Celine Dions most famous song...you know ...Near..Far...With a cat in your bra...I believe that my arse will grow on....
That was the final straw.
So tonight its Inkys patented 20 min Leek and Potato soup.
You will need 1 oz butter 3 leeks a large spud 2 stock cubes and a pack of ready meal mashed potato. Asda basics is fine. Creme fraiche to finish is optional.
I use a mandoline to slice the leeks but as long as the long oniony bastards end up in rings its fine. Heat the butter in your pan and soften the leeks. Tip on enough water to float them. Add stock cubes. Peel and finely dice mr spud. Throw in. Boil for 15 mins. Add pack of mash and stir in to thicken. Season  with sslt and pepper and add creme fraiche or yoghurt to finish.
I do a lot of soups. My favourite is a morrocan apricot and almond soup which takes 3 days. French onion is next fave at 6hrs. All of them got served with no comments. This one gets yummy noises and asks for seconds every time.
Ffs.

3 comments:

  1. Where I come from (Essex!) 'tooting away' would mean something rather different....sorry to lower the tone, but what would you expect from me? *Cough*

    Your soups sound fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a familiar story - Stuff that takes hours of marinades and carefully caramelising things and wrecking my hands with really precise chopping; "It's nice, but it's a bit... I don't know, weird". Whereas instant noodles with a bit of black pepper gets praised to the rafters.

    Then again, at least Foal has the excuse of being about ten. :P

    Apricot and almond soup sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starts out with v hard dried apricots you soak in mint tea for 2 days. Similarly make an almond milk. Boil both together with stock and ras el hanout till its soupy.
      Theres a bit more to it in terms of seasoning but thats basically it. Chick peas make it more chick peay

      Delete